Remove DRM from WMV

*Please Note, i am currently in the process of changing the website, so some things might not work properly, please contact me if you find anything*

DRM is used in a number of media, but is most commonly found in video and music files. There are many who argue that DRM is a misnomer, since it deals with use issues rather than the rights of the consumer. They therefore reinterpret DRM to stand for Digital Restrictions Management. – wisegeek.

The problem with DRM is it doesnt allow for Fair Use, if you buy something, you should be allowed to use it as your needs require, so here is a guide on how to remove DRM from .wmv files, in order that you can use it in accordance with Fair Use policies. For this to work you MUST have already aquired the licence for the media, this isnt a guide on how to crack DRM, only on how to remove it from files you have licences for.

1) An up to date version of Windows Media Player will NOT work for this, my suggestion is to use VMWare, create a new XP Pro SP2 Virtual Machine with the default WMP9, otherwise you will need to rollback to at the latest 10.00.00.3646, however 9 is probably easier.

2) You need 2 files drmdbg.exe (or drmdbg[1].exe) and drm2wmv_e.exe which can be found here, save them both to the desktop (this is the easiest way to do this).

3) Run drmdbg.exe, when WMP opens drag the DRMed file into it (or click File/Open and browse for the file). After a few seconds a popup box will appear with some information about the file, click Ok. (This will create a folder drm2 on the desktop, dont worry about this)

4) Drag the DRMed file onto drm2wmv_e.exe, when this has finished you will have a new file, same name as the original but with a [NoDRM] prefix… thats it, your done :D

*Troubleshooting*
Ok, things dont always run smooth, i’ve come across some weird problems while trying this out on other systems, so heres something to try if all else fails, go to c:\documents and settings\all users\drm <– delete it, run the protected file, this should recreate the drm folder when the license is downloaded, then go to http://services.wmdrm.windowsmedia.com/indivSite and click upgrade, this fixed my problems on a couple of things, see how you get on
Thanks to all the guys at Doom9, i wrote this guide based on my own results after reading through a forum thread there.

Visit us in #NormalPeopleHateMe on Undernet or click here if u have mIRC

Want to turn your photos or artwork into large format photographic and poster prints give www.supersizephotos.co.uk/ a try, they have lots of options, and you can even buy cameras from the site, including the new Nikon d60

10 Comments

1. LindaNan
    July 30, 2009, 12:12 am   /

I tried to remove the DRM on a video file I own. No luck. I tried to unload the DRM folder in D & S & I can’t get rid of Cache & drmstore.hds. They are hidden & I can’t unhide them. Pls Help.

• Kode
      September 29, 2009, 4:55 pm   /

Unfortunately its been a long time since i wrote this tutorial, i will try to revisit it at some point

2. May 6, 2009, 4:14 pm   /

I can’t tell you how grateful I am for your share and for providing the drmdbg file. Thanks!

3. May 6, 2009, 4:14 pm   /

4. December 5, 2008, 4:36 am   /

Great guide, thanks!

5. SamS
    November 13, 2008, 7:27 am   /

man, thanks for not only doing the write-up, but also hosting drmdbg.exe and drm2wmv_e.exe Thanks for saving my sanity.

6. October 29, 2008, 6:17 am   /

This is a fantastic mod. It strips the DRM clean, IMO the best fair use DRM remover there is.

Thanks a ton !

7. Jens
    October 1, 2008, 11:12 am   /

Thank you, this was a great program. I bought a couple of WMV-HD movies but instead of using my PC I wished to use my media player (Popcorn) which of course was impossible… I´ve tried several more or less difficult programs with no sucess when I stumbled over this. This was so easy that I was doubtful it would work, but it did. The only thing I did was to upgrade the license stuff that you mentionend.

One strange thing though was that the file was reduced from 2,3gb to 1,3gb but it run perfectly. Regards Jens

8. judy
    May 22, 2008, 4:55 am   /

Thanks so very much for taking your time to create this very useful and informative site. I have learned a lot from your site. Thanks!!

9. April 11, 2008, 10:34 am   /

Removing copy protection on Windows Media Audio files (removing DRM on WMA’s)…

Summary: removing DRM protection from WMA’s so I can convert them to mp3’s I can play on my iPod.
    Tested on: Windows XP, Windows Media Player 9 with security component upgrade
    Geekiness: 3 / 5

I recently bought an audiobook online which…

Comments are now closed on this post.